Monday, July 30, 2012

Camp KPAC: One student's experience


Kelly Holguin, right, chats with TPR Operations Coordinator Paul Flahive.
On left: fellow student Michael Hardy-Holley.

Earlier this month, seven area high school students took part in Camp KPAC, an opportunity to learn about radio and recording with members of our staff.  Kelly Holguin of Clark High School wrote in with this reaction after the week ended:

When I was first notified that I had been accepted into Camp KPAC, I did not know what to expect. I listen to San Antonio’s classical music station often, and I adored the refreshing music that is so often forgotten in today’s society of fast-paced tunes and overwhelming sounds. But when it came to the radio station itself, I was, sadly, an amateur. However, that all changed after the first day of being with head director Nathan Cone. He, along with James Baker and Paul Flahive, were brimming with knowledge on all aspects of the radio business, from the technical undertakings of recording an artist, to the do’s and don’ts of an interview. I learned a variety of skills in every department that make up a radio station, and had the privilege to try my hand at interviewing, recording, and producing a radio-ready interview. Everyone at the station was very friendly, even while we were using their space and equipment. I had a wonderful experience with all the people that make up KSTX and KPAC, and feel entirely grateful for the opportunity to get the inside scoop on the radio business. 

Thank you for your kind words, Kelly! To hear Kelly's radio piece she produced, follow this link.

No comments: