Thursday, June 19, 2008

Musical Memories

I took a trip down memory lane this morning, listening to Deirdre Saravia playing Brahms' Double Concerto with Issac Stern and Yo-Yo Ma. It's been awhile since I've heard it (at least 4 or 5 months!) and I immediately remembered a high school sweetheart.
You see I went out with another violinist in Youth Symphony back in Wichita. We were freshman and wanted to be professional musicians. Besides seeing each other at rehearsals (she went to McPherson and I was a Derby student) we also ushered at the Wichita Symphony concerts. There we heard Brahms' Double Concerto - and it was our song! We'd talk on the phone and talk of orchestra, music and of course recordings of the Brahms. I would often play the LP of the Stern/Ma recording and think about my sweetheart (and even try to play along with the record!)
Jenna moved that summer with her folks to Rome, Italy and I've never seen her again, we fell out of touch but we'll always have Brahms' Double Concerto.

Do you have a memory to a particular piece of music? Share it with us in the comments section, or blog about it and send us the link!

John Clare, afternoon host

No comments: